Blog Archive

Monday 10 January 2022

Learning about my new geography,

 I've been on so many glorious walks on the moors.  So easy to get to and so awe inspiring.  It's great to see the big sky and the hills rolling back into the distance.  My local landscapes are now so different.  It's hard to know where to start!  I am so used to drawing the things in front of my face, because that is what I was looking at when I lived in London.  There wasn't much space.   Obviously, my trips to the coast were different, but I do find that I don't quite know how to start!  I have lots of ideas and so start I must.  I have tidied my little work space and have printed up some backgrounds.  I am going to go down there in a while to add to them.  

In winter the colours are so different. I find I am noticing that more here. The bracken has died down and turned to a deep rust colour.  The heather is over, but still you are able to imagine it a deep purple. The wild plants have left their skeletons behind and that in itself is beautiful. 

This is a photo I have messed about with on photoshop.  Trying to pick out the aforementioned winter skeletons of last years wildflowers.  This was on a walk along the River Wharfe, near Grassington. (there are otters!  Looking forward to seeing them one day.)





Further along the walk and approaching the abandoned lead works on the way up to the moor.  Always dry stone walls and always lots of moss on them. Adds a beautiful bright green to the landscape.






A drawing of the bulbs of the paper white narcissus. Might do another one this week.  It is growing rapidly.  I like to draw the winter bulbs. So full of promise and hope.  Am also trying to do at least one drawing a day. Even if it's just a quick sketch.  I have much to catch up on.   



Finally, my backgrounds.  Off down there now to get on!





1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Anita - looking forward to seeing the work that emerges. x J

    ReplyDelete

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven