BRADFORD PENNINE GATEWAY: NATIONAL NATURE RESERVE APPLICATION. Artist’s Residency Commissions.
This is my
application for the residency and I am particularly interested in the area of
the Bingley North Bog.
A Brief
History of my interests and previous research:
I moved up
to Bradford about five years ago, from London.
Bogs and peat weren’t something I had access to at all, unless I was
visiting North Yorkshire, which I did occasionally. Walks up on the North Yorks Moors were always
exciting though. We saw adders and
beautiful dung beetles that were an iridescent blue when turned over.
I was fascinated
by the liminal spaces between land and sea along the Thames estuary, and in the
summer often travelled to the bizarre Isle of Grain, just to be near the muddy
outcrops and the plants that we didn’t really see further in. I drew a few of them, such as Golden
Samphire.
A couple of
years ago I discovered the raised bog at Malham Tarn. It was June/July time and the bog was full of
the most beautiful plants I had ever seen.
Most of them new to me. marsh
orchids, water cinquefoil, water avens (I had drawn that before as I had it in
my pond) bog bean, bog Asphodel, bog cotton, Northern marsh orchid, common
sundew, globe flower etc. Not to mention the dragonflies and lizards, that you
catch from the corner of your eye, before they scuttle off into the
undergrowth.
Standing on
the edge of that boardwalk, you would have no idea that the land in front of
you is so rich with life. But once you
get your eye in… tiny sundews, waiting there for their dinner, mosses, star
shaped or spongey. It is, indeed, a wonder.
In the
winter it is just as exciting, this is when the mosses and lichen come into
their own and are bright glowing green, grey, red, turmeric yellow, white.
(sketchbook
page)
It is this
joy that I hope to bring to my art and the awe and wonder that I would like to
share. It is through this sheer amazement at nature, that we realise that
ecology and stewardship are important and that we can be part of the journey to
help these places survive.
As David
Hockney said in “Spring Cannot Be Cancelled”: "There are a
thousand things I can see! These simple little things are unbelievably
rich. A lot of people have forgotten that but you can remind them".
Artistic practice and proposed work:
My artistic practice focuses on drawing and printmaking. I build up the print in layers, sometimes
using collagraphs and stencils.
In the studio my work is process led; I am often pleasantly surprised
with the marks I have made. I prefer it
this way because I am referencing our connection with the natural world, which,
as we know is never consistent or rigid.
I propose that I would find and draw interesting plants and wildlife
that I find in the North Bog. With regard to timescale, I feel I would want to
be on site looking, finding and taking photographs and drawing for a few
days. My usual way of working is
starting with the small and move outwards, thinking about the habitats and the
ecological systems. Looking and seeing,
recording and researching. Then into my
studio. I would love the opportunity to
examine a distinct area of interest like the North Bog and make work that
celebrates and informs about this important habitat. It would also be a chance to expand my
practice and introduce new processes that I have been thinking about
recently. (For instance Silk screen
monoprinting.)
Drawing the flowers and wildlife is my way of learning about them and
the environment that they live in. It’s
not just the biology; it’s also the history, the myths and legends, the healing
properties and their culinary delights. There
are often really interesting stories that follow plants down the centuries. Red
Campion Silene dioica takes its name merry
god of the woodland in Greek mythology. Each plant has flowers of one sex only
(dioica – two houses), so that two plants are needed to make seed. Interesting
to note that the ground up seeds are good for treating snakebites and another
common name for it is Adder Flower.
Folklore tells us that red campion flowers guard bees’ honey stores, as
well as protecting fairies from being discovered.
It’s these stories that help us
connect and remember the plants we are identifying.
Apart from the plants, I am interested in the damsel and
dragonflies. Also, very much a surprise
if you haven’t spent time in nature very often. The iridescent blue of the
Banded Demoiselle shimmering in the sunlight would engage anyone.
I am a member of Bradford Botany Group and this weekend (June 27th)
we have visited Tarn Moor and seen an incredible amount of bog and peat
plants. Being part of this group is a
great learning experience that really helps with my practice.
https://anitagwynn.blogspot.com/ (I have uploaded work that is relevant to this application,
to the first page).
Sharing and relevant experience:
At this stage, I am envisaging an exhibition and workshops.
I have had solo exhibitions and made work expressly for this
purpose. For instance, I have had a solo
show at the Garden Museum in London. My show was called “Without
bees there would be no flowers”. I also
ran workshops alongside the exhibition.
I
am currently organising an exhibition, bringing together artists from Bradford
and London, to celebrate the mighty Dandelion.
This will be next Spring when they are at their best.
When I was
teaching art to teenagers with Autism/Global and other specific learning
difficulties, I found that drawing and monoprint are a fairly low maintenance
and easy way to get people involved. Gelli printing, specifically, is a good
activity for sharing and getting people involved as the prints are surprisingly
detailed and allow you to see things more clearly. A lot of people are scared of drawing and
this is a really inclusive way to encourage creativity.
Using a gel plate is spontaneous, free-spirited, and
endlessly creative. With each print, you can explore new textures, colours, and
patterns. It’s always surprising as you are not sure what will happen but
always satisfying! You don’t need a
press and so it’s quick and simple and fairly portable.
We know that drawing is great for the brain in many ways, but
very recently I read that it “reduces sadness”.
What better reason is there for introducing people to drawing?
No comments:
Post a Comment