In February I went to an indigo dying workshop and produced lots of small pieces of cloth that were patchworked together into an apron. Subsequently I have been using the left-overs to make a bag. I was introduced through this, to the Japanese practice of Boro. Boro translates as rags or scraps of cloth and describes clothes and household items that have been repaired many times so they can be used forever. Daily use required many repairs. Intricate sewing is used to weave through the worn fabric, making it stronger. Make do and mend, you might say.
Meanwhile, I had been trying different things out with gelli plates and really not knowing what to do with them. Gelli plates are great for a while, but every print is the same size and fairly small. So I started to monoprint and draw on top of these small prints. Inadvertently, I think, I have started to place them together and then realised that I have a patchwork. I think I will stay with this process and see where it takes me. I might even sew them together. I haven't finished drawing though, so more to come.
Everyday I am inspired by the garden where I work and this has translated to my studio practice. I am lucky to be near a couple of acres of wild garden and I have been photographing the plants, the solitary bee homes and the enormous Echium, mentioned in the previous post. Some of the Echiums have bloomed, with beautiful blue flowers towering up into the sky. They are truly magnificent. I daresay I will be drawing more of these graceful and handsome plants as the summer progresses.