Blog Archive

Tuesday 21 November 2023

Waters of March

 


I did this a while ago.  I haven't quite known what to do with it as it was very long and thin, but I have bitten the bullet and decided to cut it and frame it up.  I'm quite pleased with it for now.  I needed something I hadn't shown before to put into The Apothecary Gallery's Christmas show.  

This work is referencing the end of the Thames Esturary, around where it meets the North sea.  Years ago I was looking at another estuary on the West coast.   Now I live as far away from the sea as it's possible to get in the UK!!  Still, I have friends near the coast and can travel.  

I loved the song Waters of March by Antonio Carlos Jobim.  I felt it encapsulated that flooded area where the river meets the sea.  Where seaweed caught up in the plants that were growing on the the edges, along with scraps of pottery, usually marmalade pots from a local producer.  I am talking in the past tense here, not sure why because I still love the song and have a playlist of many different people singing this song.  

I was in my studio yesterday, feeling a bit downcast. Didn't like any of the work I was doing.  It didn't seem to be working.  I have just been again and the very act of framing up that pic has cheered me up and the drawing I did yesterday doesn't look so bad after all.  Amazing what a difference a day makes, and a bit of sunshine.  It's been raining for so long, I feel we'll all be flooded soon.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven