Blog Archive

Wednesday 6 September 2023

“Go out and walk. That is the glory of life.” (Maira Kalman)

 


At the end of May, Ruth and myself went to visit the Cyprus School of Art, with the idea that we would used their studios and concentrate on a bit of drawing and making art.  It wasn't the most positive experience I have had, I have to say.  Although of course, we made the best of it. Cyprus is a really interesting country and there is a lot to see.  The mosaics are absolutely amazing, the colours and the tiles still intact and beautiful.   

Morning Glory was out at the time.... this was early June. (Although my garden version is only just flowering in September).  Lemba the local village was covered in it!  We went down into the valley and the tangled branches and old tendrils of morning glory festooned the path.  I started drawing it.  I was determined that I would draw something completely different from usual and that I would move away from focussing on individual flowers or small views.  




So I took some of last years dried plants and brought them back to the studio and put them on the wall and looked.  As I looked, it started to look like a map of some sort.  Even more so when I studied the drawings.  It's been over two months since I was there, and it's only now that I'm thinking of where I can take this.   I liked my mad drawing and can definitely see that there is something there.  I have also been on quite a lot of walks lately.  Walks in the Dales and walks around Leeds City Centre (with work).  My step count is quite high and I'm always looking at maps!!

I've also been doing a bit of research and have found that I need to read Wanderlust by Rebecca Solnit
for one.  Also Maira Kalman (title of this piece) who The Marginalian describes as the Patron Saint of Walking.  


Obviously I couldn't resist looking at the plant a little more intently.  The blossoms come out in the morning and by late afternoon they are done.  Leaving little tubes of delight.  


Forest walk. Entangled.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven