Blog Archive

Friday 19 February 2021

Golden Samphire - beautiful, yellow and summery.

Golden Samphire (Limbarda crithmoides)

On our many trips to the Thames Estuary, this is a plant I have taken many photos of.   It's bright yellow with yellow green succulent leaves and grows in large tufted clumps all over the area.  

Wikipedia says that it only grows on the Isle of Sheppey in the UK.  This isn't right, as when you google it, you find it grows in Wales and Dorset at least.  However, that said, it is prolific on Sheppey but also on the other side of the Thames Estuary around All Hallows and on the Isle of Grain.  









It's beautifully yellow and summery.  Apparently it can fertilise itself, but bees love it and help pollinate it too.  Great for when it's feeling lazy I suppose.  (OK that's not scientific).   

Like marsh samphire, which you can now buy in supermarkets and posh fishmongers, it can be eaten.  Obviously it's salty.  I have tried picking the leaves and eating them, and as you would imagine, it is like marsh samphire.  Next time I go to the Thames Estuary, which I hope won't be too long, I am going to pick some.  I might have to wait for summer, I suppose.  I will also ask permission and say thank you. (See previous post).  

I have been drawing this plant too.  And I am going to draw it some more.  It loves the muddy estuary and grows in marvellous large clumps - it has a tufted habitat!  It can grow up to 1 metre tall. 


1 comment:

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven