Blog Archive

Wednesday 28 October 2020

Marmalade and my treasures from the Thames.

 Just been to Southwark Cathedral to see Treasures from the Thames.  Lots of lovely mudlarking finds on display, going back to medieval times.  It's amazing what the River Thames washes up.  You can see some of the treasures at this exhibition. 

 https://www.cathedral.southwark.anglican.org/about-us/news/treasures-from-the-thames/

Enjoyed my morning out with Ruth and Rosey and how nice to visit an exhibition and we were very excited to eat delicious cake and drink tea in the cafe. Recommended!

 As I am drawing and researching estuaries and things, I was inspired to find out why I have found James Kieller Dundee Marmalade jar bits in the Thames Estuary.  Of course, googling provided the answer.  After starting in Dundee, the firm started a factory in Guernsey to avoid the sugar tax and when that was abolished they moved to Silvertown on the River Thames.  I found my bits right up near Grain so they had travelled a while.  Mind you they have had since 1888 to make their way there.  I also have a whole jar. This wasn't found by me, but was a Christmas present from Rosey Prince.  Lovely!



Below is a picture of Golden Samphire growing out of the mudflats of the Thames Estuary, up by All Hallows.  Might put this into the Arthouse group show.  Just off to arthouse to photograph and think on!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven