Blog Archive

Monday 5 October 2020

About my work. Pictures, packed and ready for Supernature



 

Most of the flowers I have drawn have been seen on various visits to lovely places around Britain. The lupins at the RSPB Minsmere were a sight to behold, the sanfoin from a little meadow (Hutchinson's Bank) I discovered near Croydon, of all places.  The blue geraniums are from the wildflower garden at work, the mallow, well from everywhere.  During August there wasn’t a place I visited that didn’t have mallow.  The Sweet William is a cheat.  I do have it in my garden, but I’ve also had it in a vase.  I’ve never seen White rosebay in the wild, but my friend Juliet has a marvellous display of it in her rather beautiful garden in Hampshire.  The crocuses come up every year in my garden.  The first bit of colour after the dark days.  They come up haphazardly all over the garden, I think the squirrels have replanted them and they are always a welcome sight. The promise of spring. 

 Each flower has a use and a story. They are food to us, the bees, butterflies and insects, or have healing properties that have been used for centuries.

 I cannot draw the plants without thinking about their survival.  They need pollinators. The solitary bee homes are there to remind us of this. 

 My work is a celebration of the relationship of the bees and the plants and of the sanctuary that gardens and meadows have provided to help these pollinators survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven