Blog Archive

Thursday 17 September 2020

Common mallow - Joyfully and prettily pink!

 


One of the plants I have been drawing this summer is the Common Mallow Malva sylvestris.  I love this plant because it comes out in its pink best and adorns the road sides, verges, coastline, salt marshes, well any wild space, for the whole summer and keeps going into September.  I always notice it coming to the fore in late July and well into late August. 

This summer I have been noticing it all over the coastline of Kent and Essex, especially.  I suppose that is where we were going when it was at its best, when we were allowed to travel further than five miles, that is. It is also prolific in Burgess Park and that, along with the chicory, has made my morning walk to work very joyful!

 It is a pretty pink, stripy flower that provides food for insects  through the summer. It has big round leaves with five lobes and hairy stalks.  A little bit of interest here:  the french word for mallow is 'mauve' which is where we get that colour word from.

I knew this plant has long been used for food or medicinal purposes.  Some think it was introduced by the Romans because of it's usefulness for both food and medicine.  

My go to website on finding out these things is Robin Harford's  https://www.eatweeds.co.uk/  Full of fascinating information and some interesting podcasts.  In fact I think I will listen to a couple in my studio today!  Here is a quote from his website with the nutritional profile: 

"Common mallow is a highly nutritious green, containing (per 100 g of fresh weight) 4.6 g protein, 1.4 g fat, 24 mg vitamin C, as well as vitamin A and carotenoids.5,6 The fats contain important omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which could help to reduce the incidence of chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease.The leaves also contain health-giving antioxidants.8 Common mallow is also a good source of dietary fibre.9"

 I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him, I might email and ask. 

Meanwhile on the lovely website http://www.plant-lore.com/common-mallow/  there is a list of usefulness the common mallow has recently been to people with various problems (mainly with the eyes) and how you can eat the seeds, which are called 'cheeses' because they are shaped like a round cheese.  Might go out looking for some this weekend.

This will be available to look at or purchase at Supernature 9/10 October Garden Museum.  Publicity to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven