Blog Archive

Wednesday 29 April 2020

Sketchbooks and afternoon zoom

I thought that being at home would mean that I would be constantly drawing.  Sketchbook in my hand at all times.  The first few weeks were taken up with gardening. The weather has been beautiful and my garden needed a lot of attention.  It now looks very good and I am pleased.  It's lovely to sit up there in the sunshine before work starts.  How different life is for all of us.  If you are reading this from the other side of the world, you still know what I am talking about. That is just weird.

Back to the sketchbook, it has been a struggle, frankly. The motivation hasn't really been there.  I find it really hard not being in my studio and trying to work from the dining room table, and I think that has contributed to my lack of interest.

What has really helped is our Wednesday afternoon art sessions on Zoom. 😀 It has been great actually.  It means I have started drawing again.  The garden is a major inspiration and so are my local parks.  Yesterday I went for a walk in Ladywell Fields just after the rain had stopped for a while.  It smelt lovely, everywhere looked lush and green.  I took my camera and took a few pictures of trees and noticed how this is the time of the year the trees start setting their seeds.  I have a new book called Seeds by Thor Hansen too, so it was a bit of synchronicity, I suppose.  I have only just started the book. I expect I will come back to it soon.   

The marsh marigolds are in my pond.  I started the sketch when they first came out in all their sunshiny glory and only finished it today.  They have gone over now but the leaves still look great.
There are so many Water Avens flowers at the moment.  This year they have done brilliantly.  When I did this sketch they had only just started.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven