Blog Archive

Wednesday 17 April 2019

Geraniums not pelargoniums.

I've become slightly obsessed with Geraniums this summer.  I have a very shady garden and they seem to thrive in the shade.  There are 422 different species. I think I have 10 at the most.  They are also called Cranesbills because when the seed head forms, it is long and thin, like a crane's bill.  When ripe, it springs open and casts its seeds far and wide.   They are not to be confused with Pelargoniums.  The bright coloured pot plants that brighten up our gardens and steps in summer time.

The leaves are circular in form. The flowers have five petals and are coloured white, pink (varying shades), purple or blue often with viening.  As usual, I have looked up the health benefits of wild geraniums. They are many and varied and although don't seem to be any use where snake bites are concerned, the leaves when squashed and rubbed into the skin, can relieve mosquito bites.  

The root seems to be the main benefit and I give you a quote from a North American website  https://www.healthbenefitstimes.com/wild-geranium/  

"An infusion of the whole plant, or of the roots alone, is used in the treatment of diarrhea, dysentery, irritable bowel syndrome, cholera, kidney complaints, bleeding and a wide range of other ailments."
or 

"Boiled root was also used for toothache and crushed to a paste applied to piles."

Another all rounder.  I am going to have a look at that website more thoroughly.  

 

It has taken me awhile to find a way in the studio.  I have been working on various prints, using collographs, gelli plates and monoprinting and some nice things have happened.  It's all very much "in progress" though. It has been nice having the Easter holidays, which has given me time to work more consistently.  Helps with the old thought processes. 

 This is Geranium rotundifolium (Round-leafed cranesbill).  We found this growing by the side of the road on the way to Lewisham.  We thought it was Hedgerow geranium, but on further research, I now think it's Round-leafed.  Flower identification is hard, especially when there are 422 in the family.

Surrounded by cleavers, goosegrass or sticky willie, whatever you like to call this straggly plant that is horrid to touch.



A view of my studio wall, which is getting more confusing by the day.  Hopefully I will be able to capture some of it and make some sense of it.

I have been working on a very large piece, which is unusual for me and I am finding it quite hard. 

Meadow cranesbill.  This grows prolifically in the wildlife garden at work.  It's lovely and I haven't managed to grow it at home yet.  I thought I had one but it has disappeared.  I took this photo last summer and am looking forward to taking more when I go back to work after the holidays.  It grows next to the solitary bee homes that will be buzzing with new life about now.

Although I thought that about my Geranium phaeum (dusky cranesbill) which has come back this year. Looking foward to it's dark velvety, maroon flowers. 

Confused now as to why the text type has changed during my writing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven