Blog Archive

Saturday 30 December 2017

FLORILEGIUM - A gathering of flowers.

I've been wondering what to call my upcoming exhibition.  Thought of various titles.  I am showing a collection of work made over the last 4-5 years and most of it is related to flowers, mostly wild, some not so wild.  I have also started including the environment in which I find myself and so 'Bloom' didn't quite work and neither did 'A flower is always a flower.'

Florilegium seems to fit the bill.  I'll enlighten you!

In medieval Latin a florilegium (plural florilegia) was a compilation of excerpts from other writings. The word is from the Latin flos (flower) and legere (to gather): literally a gathering of flowers, or collection of fine extracts from the body of a larger work. It was adapted from the Greek anthologia (ἀνθολογία) "anthology", with the same etymological meaning.

So Floregium: A gathering of flowers; or a collection of FINE extracts from the body or a larger work seems appropriate.  





Some drawings I made last year were of roses.  Roses as they slowly dried up. They were beautiful.

The exhibition is at Lewisham Arthouse 140 Lewisham Way, New Cross SE14 6PD

It opens on Wednesday 31st January at 12-6, Thursday 12-6, Friday 12-6 and runs until Saturday 9 pm.  The private view is Saturday evening 7-9.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven