Blog Archive

Monday 22 August 2016

Marsh Woundwort and how I am botanically challenged.


I'm embarrassed.  I drew this plant, which grows prolifically in my garden, a couple of years ago.  I was sure it was Purple Loosestrife.  However, I visited Dungeness Rsbp reserve yesterday.  I came upon a tall purple plant that it appears is Loosestrife, and mine isn't.

I have since i.d'd it.  It is Marsh Woundwort Stachys palustris. I looked at it more carefully and realised it looked more like a member of the nettle family.

Still it has a long and illustrious history as a healer of dressing cuts and wounds.  It is also supposed to help aching joints, when made into an ointment.  Goodness knows, I have enough of it in my garden and of course, I have aching joints.   How do I make and ointment, I wonder?  Culpepper, the famous herbalist, said that Stachys will protect the liver and preserve us from witchcraft.  An all rounder then!

I feel I should find some purple loosestrife to draw now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven