Blog Archive

Monday 1 May 2023

Wilful Dispersal

 


It's nearly here and I will be spending the next week finishing and framing.  I've called the exhibition Wilful Dispersal, because I have drawn seed heads and dandelions. And I think we can agree that dandelions disperse.  The dandelions are out at the moment in my garden.  I love the bright yellow and so do the bees.  Dandelions are also out in the autumn, so that the bees have something to feed on at the end of summer.  

I get a bit over excited in early Spring.  The flowers start to come up and often I have forgotten what was planted where, so it's always a nice surprise. Even in my new garden!  Pulmanaria (lungwort) is a great early spring flower.  It starts off pink or blue and  the flowers change colour as they mature, so there are often pink and blue flowers on the same plant.  The leaves are spotty too, so that adds interest to the spring garden.  At the moment the garden is mostly yellow and blue, what with the lungwort, the forget-me-nots and the dandelions.  I should cut the lawn but I am loving the yellow, so it can wait. 

I always like a mallow, and I have included them in this exhibition.    They are truly the flowers of high summer.  You can rely on them to be alongside footpaths, on wild and rough ground and on roadside verges.  I've noticed they are often there with common mustard and the pink and yellow compliment each other no end!  Something I have just this minute learned: The French word for mallow is 'mauve', which is where we get the word for the colour mauve from.  
Thanks to the Wildlife Trust for that snippet. 

So now I am thinking of titles for my monotypes.  It's nice to have thought about the title. I like to hint at a story, or maybe inspire you to look it up and wonder why I have called it such a name.  

Tomorrow I will add some images. Otherwise.... come to the Apothecary Gallery in Thornton.  It's in Market Street which is famous for being the birthplace of the Brontes.  













No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven