Blog Archive

Friday 12 August 2022

Summer of Sunflowers

 It's been a busy summer.  I've had many visitors.  Been lovely to see you all!  I haven't made much work though, in this time.  I have been enjoying Sunflowers this summer. The joyful yellow has been lighting up my kitchen for the last month.  


These were a gift from a friend, so I decided to draw them.  

I have another bunch now, that are sadly just going over.  I thought I would learn a little more about this flower.  They are heliotropic, which means they turn their heads to follow the movement of the sun across the sky east to west.  They then return at night to face the east, ready for the rising of the sun. How lovely is that?

Of course they are a symbol of optimism and happiness and lift the spirits of anyone who receives them.  They certainly lift mine.  Depending on what is going on in your life, they can be for rememberance or moving forward.  

Traditionally, they have power and authority. A yellow sunflower means goodness, lifegiving, truth, endurance and timelessness. They’re the essence of love and loyalty.

I did read this, and whilst the Sunflower is only one of my favourite flowers, I'll take it -

"Choosing the sunflower as your favorite flower says a lot about your personality. You’re an open individual that has lots of energy. You’re optimistic and cheerful. You create a place of love, happiness, and warmth. Wherever you go your enthusiasm goes with you."

Sunflowers are grown for their edible seeds, which can be eaten on their own or processed to make oil for cooking and skincare.  I expect we all eat the delicious seeds. Might have some now. 💕

I am happy to report (see Echium Vulgaris from a while back) that the petals, leaves and stems are used to treat snake bites!  Apparently, they're good for fevers and sores too.  The petals, leaves and stems of the sunflower plant are also edible. In fact, from a website I was just looking at, they can treat just about anything.  A miracle plant all round.  Mentally and physically.  

Now I am going to press another favourite yellow flower, Calendula.  I might draw that as well.  It's another positive and hopeful deep yellow.  Full of hope and a reminder that good things happen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven