Blog Archive

Thursday 25 October 2018

Remembering who you are and looking forward to new things!

Somewhere between about 16 and 28 you forget you are. At least that was and is my experience.  The joy you found, as a child, looking into a rockpool or drawing, is somehow lost.  Other things get in the way. Like exams, work, college, sex and drugs and rock and roll. We've all been there.

I have mentioned many times the dried flowers that I found at my mums and how it set me off drawing flowers, researching flowers and learning a lot of things I found I sort of knew already.  I had forgotten, for instance, the collection of pressed flowers that I had made at the age of 13.  I found my spirograph that I had spent many hours drawing with (albeit in a mathematical kind of a way) and also found that I had written notes to go along side.  Not that different to the things I find myself writing now!!  We do and we don't change.  The wonder comes back.  The rock pools get more interesting again (although sadly more bereft of life, but that's for another day) and the spirograph remains fascinating!

The dried flowers are certainly still unsurpassed in their beauty.  I get them out every now and again to look at them, but I'm afraid they will fade even more and lose their loveliness.



These two monotypes below come directly from this discovery and I still love them.  I think I sold the second one. The first one is on my wall at home. I want to keep it because it reminds me of my mum and I like it!






All sounds a bit inward looking, but I was just thinking about book making again and how I have always wanted to make a book about these dried flowers.  I have been researching some very interesting artists who use collage or assemblage to make their works.  I have been cutting up old work and putting it together again and I have been contemplating how this might happen and where I go to next with my practice.  

Meanwhile, don't forget my exhibition next week.  Launching 1st November 7 p.m. at Deptford does Art.  Deptford High Street.  I will definitely be mentioning this again before the weekend is out!





1 comment:

  1. Love the monotypes, Anita. And the sentiment and observation behind them. x

    ReplyDelete

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven