Blog Archive

Wednesday 16 November 2016

It's beginning to look a lot like........ oh and Lichen.


It has been 2 months since I updated this half of my blog.  A lot has been happening to distract me though. I have a new job, which because, it was new has taken up a lot of time.  Now I am more settled I am hoping to spend more time in my studio.  Just as it starts to get cold.

I have managed to work on the ivybroomrape prints and they only need a few little tweeks now.

Since my visit to the rainforest in North Wales (temperate of course), I have been really interested in lichens.  Well, to be fair, I have been interested in them a long time, but I saw a few different sorts and for the first time, lichens with little cups.  Non-flowering plants are also fascinating I find.  There are over 1,800 species in the British Isles.  I'm always amazed when I start researching my interests.  1,800!!!

From the British Lichen Society, which is based at the NHM:


What is a Lichen?


A lichen is not a single organism; it is a stable symbiotic association between a fungus and algae and/or cyanobacteria.
Like all fungi, lichen fungi require carbon as a food source; this is provided by their symbiotic algae and/or cyanobacteria, that are photosynthetic.
The lichen symbiosis is thought to be a mutualism, since both the fungi and the photosynthetic partners, called photobionts, benefit.

Anyway, I have started noodling in my sketchbook. Colourful watercolours, trying to get a feel and find out about these fascinating organisms.  It's been fun and I need to do many more.  I have also started a couple of monoprints. It's early days and I have much work to do.


In other news, we have a Christmas Fair coming up at the arthouse. December 10th. I will be making and selling Christmas cards. 

As you can see it is still a work in progress.   I will be sharing more information over the next couple of weeks.

 

1 comment:

  1. These prints would be superb transfered onto clay forms-another excuse for a visit to Norfolk

    ReplyDelete

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven