Blog Archive

Thursday 22 January 2015

A Winter Walk to Work #2

As I have said, time and time again - Brookmill Park never fails to surprise.  This last week I have seen a pheasant and kingfishers. The female pheasant has apparently been there for a month or so.  I wonder what her story is? They're not known for travelling are they?  Maybe someone has kept them in their garden. Many people keep chickens, so maybe pheasants are the next big thing. Shoot your own tea.

The best moment was on Tuesday. Actually there were moments...the best moments were on Tuesday.  I was almost at Broadway Fields and I spotted a kingfisher on the concrete wall over the Ravensbourne.  I watched for about 3 or 4 minutes as it dived for food and came back up again. Watching and waiting.  I wondered if I would see any again on the way home.  I saw a silohuette of a kingfisher flying off towards the Creek and felt blessed.  At the entrance to the park (near Elverson Road) I saw a man with a camera.  He was filming another (or maybe the same) kingfisher who was sitting on the concrete ledge, again silently watching the water.  I chatted to the guy with a camera and found out he was called Dusty (@greenroofsuk) and he films them a lot. I am sure he won't mind if I share one of his videos. http://ow.ly/HIqKK Check him on You tube for many more.

So you see Brookmill Park is great! I saw lots of chaffinches and goldfinches having a bath in the river too.

I have had the week from hell, so the kingfisher and Dusty really cheered me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven