Blog Archive

Tuesday 11 November 2014

Musings on Hawkweed and things.

 

Picked this last week in Tidemill Garden. I think it's some sort of Hawkweed. *(n.b. Sow Thistle _ added 6th January 2015, now I have more knowledge! As I say later on, devilishly hard to identify for the amateur).  It's one of those weeds people barely notice, so straggly and the flowers are quite small and dandelionish.  But they are lovely.  The flower heads are beautiful when they are about to burst into white fluffy seeds, which will disperse all over and drive gardeners mad.  Again, refusing to be contained and ready to roam!

Apparently Hawkweeds are hard to identify because of the way they reproduce.  This from Wikipedia:

"The classification of Hieracium into species is notoriously difficult. One reason is the apomictic reproduction (in which plants asexually produce seeds), which tends to produce a lot of minor geographical variation. Over 9000 species names have been published in Hieracium but some botanists regard many of those as synonyms of larger species."

 I am not a biologist and so I have to quote.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to go to Old Tidemill today, because of work (humph) and I wonder what they are cooking.  Last week we had potato and cauliflower curry. Delicious.  Open to all on a Tuesday 10-2 btw.

Off to the studio now.  We are having an Xmas fair at the arthouse in December and I am thinking I might join in. Get a stall, make some stuff.  Watch this space!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven