Blog Archive

Thursday 9 October 2014

Abandoned umbrellas and swirling leaves

It's that time of the year again.... heavy winds, heavy rain showers and what on earth to wear?!  Or where are my raincoats and boots?  One of my students was late to the class on Monday because she couldn't decide on footwear for the weather.  I feel her pain, I really do!  We can't really moan can we?  Although I have had the "weather conversation" about 40 times this week.  Not complaining - it's good to talk!

Down at Old Tidemill School Wildlife Garden we have been lucky, lucky, lucky.  We spent the two weekends of our exhibition in lovely sunshine, except for just one day.  This week's community gardening session was the only sunny day this week, I think.  Ella and I have decided to try and identify all the wildflowers in the garden.  All well and good, but I am not a botanist and Yellow-flowered daisies have us confused.  There are about 20,000 of them.  Ok, I exaggerate, but you would see my point if you were to come down on Tuesdays when the garden is open.  Hairy ox-tongues - actually I think I might have just made that up... but some were hairy.  I think Hawkweed is the proper name.

And here is some accidentally but artistically arranged 'Hawkweed of some sort'. I will have to identify.  They are actually quite interesting when you study them, these weeds that grow and grow taller and taller and more straggly.  Lots of butterflies around them, even at this late stage. The wildflower book says it is good in pickle!  Do you add it to pickle or make hairy pickle?








The sunflower has now bent down in that Autumn way that sunflowers do.  The wild flower bed is still looking lovely, with flowers still blooming on the scabious, clover and purple vetch.

Here's to a lovely autumn and some lovely gardening and cooking sessions at Tidemill.  Last weeks lunch was LOVELY btw.  Louise rustled up a goulash with dumplings.
Does food taste better when it is cooked and eaten outside?  Discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven