Blog Archive

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Starlings and Mistletoe....oh and Mozart.

Haven't blogged for a while, I'm afraid. Time and all that.  Spent day in studio, drawing some starlings from photos I have taken or found.  Also found out that Mozart had a starling in a cage.  Apparently this is a well known fact.  I found a poem that suggested that Mozart found a starling in a shop, heard it singing the allegretto theme from his own piano concerto in G-major and had to buy it. Although it is suggested that Mozart taught the bird the theme and then bought it.  Mad story, but as I said, a well known fact....apparently!  Although I have never really engaged with classical music, I listened to this and found I quite liked it. Have downloaded from itunes and I think I am listening to it at the moment!  Very difficult with classical music, it's all movements and number and things. Whatever I am listening to, it is lovely piano.
I also found out that Coleridge had written about "Starlings in vast flight drove along like smoke.....some moments glimmering, shivering, dim and shadowy, thickening, deepening, shadowy".

I have also spent time drawing mistletoe, growing from the branch.  It is a piece I picked up in Bedfordshire, that had been chopped from the tree.  I love mistletoe, as I have mentioned before in this blog.  It'll be coming into its own now, in Somerset,  and so will the starlings. Something else I found out today, mistletoe extract has been used in trials to help with cancer and HIV cures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven