Blog Archive

Monday 14 July 2014

Echium Vulgare

 

Catching up on my studio work.  I have done some more work on the Bugloss sketch root.  Think I might leave it alone now.  It was a lovely thing to draw.  I have added some colour to the Viper's Bugloss (top right) and I am pleased with the result.  I have also started a large monoprint, the middle pic is a detail from this.  Again featuring the Viper's Bugloss (Echium Vulgare).  I love it and so do the bees.
http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/vipers-bugloss


William Cole offered that "Viper's Bugloss hath its stalks all to be speckled like a snake or a viper, and is a most singular remedy against poyson and the sting of scorpions" in his 1656 work "The Art of Simples" (medicinal herbs were called Simples, as the practice of using herbs medicinally was called Simpling). Any benefit that Viper's Bugloss might impart to a snakebite victim would be largely due to the placebo effect. 

Try not to eat it in large quantities though, it might affect your liver!  That's if you can get past the very hairy stem......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven