Blog Archive

Sunday 28 August 2011

Cornflower

A break away. I have been to France and North Yorkshire. France was warmer! I have also become the proud owner of a manual typewriter. I intend using it for making work. I have some ideas hatching. I might try to write something everyday. Meanwhile I need to collect my thoughts and hone my ideas!  This picture is of a cornflower I pressed.  This summer, I have collected a few flowers and pressed them in my mother's old flower press. This is the transcript of the type:

"This is a cornflower I picked from my front window box. I put it in the flower press and it has preserved it beautifully.
Some of the petals have the colour still and some have faded, now looking transparent and veiny. I am going away this week. I shall take my flower press with me and see what I can find. something has to entertain me in Sutton Coldfield!
I see from my typing that I need to clean some of the keys. Can't remember how we used to do that.
CORNFLOWER:  Other names: Ragged Sailor, Corn bluebottle and on English farms: "hurtsickle" because they blunted the sickle blade.
Flowers found in tutankamen's tomb were almost as blue as when they had been put there about 1550BC."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven