Blog Archive

Monday 27 March 2017

Tales of Echium Pininana and a beautiful garden. Inspiration has come at last!




It's been a long while since I have posted anything on this blog.  The winter was harsh in the studio, which doesn't inspire, and I started a new job.  The new job is in beautiful surroundings. A wildlife garden in the middle of Kennington.  Now as spring approaches, it is coming into its own.  It is full of giant Echium pininana. (Tree echium or Tower of jewels). I have seen these growing in Cornwall and they are rather magnificent. They are native to the Canary Islands really.  Anyone who has known me or my blog will know that I had a lovely summer drawing Echium vulgaris, which is commonly known as Viper's Bugloss.  They are related and deliciously blue.  I am looking forward to the summer, when these great plants will shoot up to heights of 3-4m (in some cases) and are covered in hundreds of little blue flowers.  The bees love them.  Presumably butterflies will too.

Of course I am inspired by these plants. I am inspired by the garden, which has a pond with newts and frogs and now tadpoles, by the hives for the bees, the solitary bee homes and the many more flowers, which I am looking forward to seeing at the summer progresses.  I have started some prints that I am hoping will turn into something I want to put in a frame at some point.




This Echium is further on. The stem is as thick as a forearm and the little flowers are beginning to form.


Below is an old book that my mother had.  She had pressed flowers into it and I found this ghost of a pressed flower today.  It would have been her birthday yesterday, so it felt particularly poignant. 





This was an attempt to recreate them in monoprint.  I wanted the image to be soft and almost translucent.  I will be working on this idea too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven