Blog Archive

Wednesday 16 March 2016

Green can be a problem and some greens have more integrity than others.

I've had a busy couple of weeks, finishing off some prints I started a while ago.   These were mostly green.  Different shades of green.



I suppose mostly I have been thinking about colours.  I thought green was hard but the reds are proving challenging too.

Maybe this is the time to introduce Ken Nordine, who released a brilliant album called "Colors".  I give you a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIrCizE_678

Follow it through and you will be amused, I hope.


The roses I have been photographing and drawing ......they have gone from blood red to a deep and beautiful crimson.

I was going to say scarlet.  I see that scarlet can mean both sin and redemption, but the colour appears to be between red and orange on the spectrum, there is no orange in the red I am trying to describe. No sir.

"Scarlet is also often associated with immorality and sin, particularly prostitution or adultery, largely because of a passage referring to "The Great Harlot", "dressed in purple and scarlet", in the Bible (Revelation 17: 1-6)."


 


To be fair I think they are more crimson.  Crimson meaning the "celestial love of good" or the "good of celestial love"  The bible as ever is confused.  Crimson has a hint of blue, inclining towards purple. It's difficult to describe these colours of nature, for one thing they change from day to day, depending on the light outside, the light inside, the mood, maybe?

Maroon was another colour that sprung to mind although the word comes from the french for chestnut - "marron", which is a browny red.  Some of the dried parts are definitely this, but mostly crimson.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven