Blog Archive

Thursday 25 February 2016

Nothing is gained by not gathering roses nor by not drawing them.

 I was recently given a dozen red roses.  They were lovely, rich and red, and as old as I am, I have never had a dozen roses before, so I was excited.  They are so beautiful and even though a couple of weeks has passed, they are still glorious in their fading glory.  I am still excited!

The weather is cold at the moment.  Although many spring flowers are appearing, the weather has turned again, capricious as ever, stopping them in their tracks. Maybe this is why I am wanting to draw luscious, velvety roses.

Apparently there are 30,000 varieties of Rose in the world and the first one to come to us as a popular variety was Slater's Crimson China.  Yep, found in the mountains of China.

I'm going to do some reading.  I  have found out that a wreath of roses were found in the pyramids and am trying to find exactly where and what.  I have also found out that rose fossils have been discovered in America dating back 35 million years.

“But he who dares not grasp the thorn 
Should never crave the rose.” 
― Anne Brontë

“If you don't feel the pointed things in life, you'll soon take the soft ones for granted.” 
― John EversonCage of Bones & Other Deadly Obsessions

“Flower is always a flower. No matter the color, size, shape, or aroma. It will always be welcome even with thorns.” 
― Maria Goto

A couple of these drawings were done a few years ago, but the majority I made today at the very cold arthouse.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven