Blog Archive

Thursday 14 January 2016

Hyacinths.

It's a cold January day and I need to start doing some drawing.  I set off to the studio this morning with a pot plant  - a flowering hyacinth, which I had grabbed off the window sill as I left the house.  I didn't know what I was going to do in the studio but I knew I had to draw and this seemed as interesting as anything on this dark, grey day.

I had a productive morning and started 3 drawings.  The pot has 3 bulbs, one in full flower, with its accompanying scent, and two just ready to pop.   The more you look at these bulbs the more mad they appear.  Tiny bulbs giving us these amazingly flamboyant flowers.  The smell is so pungent and redolent of my childhood.  My mother always had a hyacinth in the late winter.  I think they would be kept under the sink in the dark, to be brought out in mid-January, their gradual turning from pale yellow to bright green, lighting up the cold days.  My birthday is in early February and seemed always to be accompanied by the smell of the hyacinth.  Deep purples, dark and pale pinks by this time.  The smell always made me feel that Spring was just around the corner, that we would be warming up soon and that adventures were there to be had.

 


 The bulbs are more interesting than the flower, I think.  I think I'm going to concentrate on the bulbs, although I think that is what I have done already, isn't it?  Just a start anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven