Blog Archive

Wednesday 7 January 2015

A Winter Walk to Work

I find I am working in Deptford again, one day a week.  I love working in Deptford.  I love Deptford. But the best thing about working in Deptford is the walk there.  I walk through Brookmill Park, which follows the Ravensbourne River from the DLR station at Elverson Road to the Stephen Lawrence Centre, where it joins Broadway Fields under the elevated DLR line.

It is a lovely little park.  It used to be a market garden back in the day.  Yesterday I was serenaded by a song thrush, which really lifts your spirits I can tell you.  Birders tell me they have seen flocks of redwing there.  I haven't, but I have seen the kingfishers, an egret, a very large heron and a not so large one.  As well as the usual moorhens and ducks, there is a lone mandarin duck, standing out with its rather elegant colours.




Today I was looking at the things that winter offers.  Between Broadway Fields I saw the pussy willow was out...at least that is what I think it was.  Seems rather early, but I loved the shapes against the blue, cold sky.

I started to look at the seedheads that summer had left behind and came home and did a few sketches of my finds.  Back to my very cold studio next week.  Would like to do some prints responding to my  winter walks. I have had a few and hopefully another one on Sunday.

1 comment:

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven