Blog Archive

Sunday 23 November 2014

Purple Loosestrife - Todays addition from the exhibition.

Well, what a Sunday! The rain has been coming down forhours and shows no sign of stopping.  I am going out in it too.  I am adding the lovely purple loosestrife today.  It grows in my garden pond and there are huge banks of it in Brookmill Park in the Summer.  Something to look forward to and to look out for.


Purple loosestrife
Lythrum salicaria

Purple loosestrife has tall, pink flower spikes and long green leaves in opposite pairs up the stem.  Collin’s Gem book of wildflowers describes it as “strikingly handsome”.  It is quite vigorous, and I can see that I am going to have to keep it in check in my pond.  I don’t mind it running wild in other areas of the garden though. I have enjoyed it this summer, watching as it attracts bees, hoverflies, butterflies, bumble bees.  There is always an insect on it. 

They’re not happy about it in America. It is considered a rampant weed. It is thought that it travelled there on ships from England in the 1800s. ‘Google’ Purple loosestrife and you will see the numerous websites intent on its malevolent end. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven