Blog Archive

Thursday 21 June 2012

I have been drawing the birds we take for granted for a while.  The starling is a magnificent bird, and is in decline.  I remember in the 1970's seeing the mass roost over Birmingham at dusk.  More recently I have watched a million birds come into roost over the Somerset Levels, performing breathtaking aerial dances.  Apparently there used to be six million.  I love the way they stick together in groups, chattering away. The latin name is Sturnus Vulgaris or Common Starling. Hence the name of the picture. I always think they look rather jolly sitting up there on the telephone wire or the t.v. aerial. I hope I have captured this.  Anyway come and see some more starlings at my house on 30th June -2nd July 2 - 8 pm, as part of Brockley Open Studios, SE13 7AT.  Email me for more details gwynnita@yahoo.co.uk.
I will also be showing more pigeons and some of the monoprints I have been working on that have grown out of my research into plastic pollution.

1 comment:

  1. As im looking outside into my garden there must be 15 starlings (and their babies) all making a right noise! beautiful birds in yhe sunshine too. jennie.
    p.s just followed you on twitter too. :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete

Who you calling common?

Who you calling common?
Monoprint

starling sketches

starling sketches
Ongoing work...waiting for a breakthrough!

The Waters of March

The Waters of March

It's the joy in my heart.

It's the joy in my heart.

Collected Items

Collected Items
the broken, the wrinkled and the uneven